The DAAD Regional Office in Hanoi is the central point of contact for all questions relating to academic exchange between Germany and the countries of Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar.
The Regional Office is located in the Vietnamese-German Centre (VDZ) at Hanoi University of Science and Technology (HUST) and is open to anyone interested in academic exchange with Germany. Anke Stahl has been the director of the Regional Office since August 2013.
The DAAD Regional Office in Vietnam promotes the exchange of students, postgraduates, researchers, artists and university managers. Every year, the DAAD awards long-term and short-term scholarships worth around one million euros in total. The DAAD awards scholarships to students in order to promote the internationalisation of science and research. The work of the DAAD focuses on nurturing talented young people and encouraging them to study in Germany. The aim is to support high-performing students through one of the many programmes and attract them as partners for Germany.
The German language
The DAAD also supports the teaching of the German language in Vietnam, particularly at the VDZ where German courses can be studied alongside other degree programmes by students from all departments.
German can be studied as an undergraduate course at three universities in Vietnam: Vietnam National University Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam National University Hanoi and Hanoi University. Vietnam National University Hanoi also offers a Master's course in German linguistics. The two universities in Hanoi maintain German Institute Partnerships with German universities.
The DAAD provides the following services in Vietnam:
- Information on study and research opportunities in Germany
- Advice on our scholarship and exchange programmes
- Funding of exchange programmes for researchers and university partnerships
- Representation of the interests of German higher education institutions
- Support in establishing contact with German universities and with universities in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Myanmar for collaboration, projects and events
- Support and networking for alumni of German universities
- Training courses for university managers